RECIPES FOR NEW AMERICANS
When potatoes are cheap, which they usually are, it's a good time to make potato salad.
- 3 pounds of potatoes (russet and red)
- 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs
- one-half cup of celery
- one-quarter cup of chopped onions
- one-quarter cup of milk
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of mustard (Dijon)
- one-half teaspoon of salt
- one-quarter teaspoon of pepper
1. Put the potatoes into a pot large enough for three pounds. Cover them with water and bring to a boil. Upon boiling, lower the heat and let the potatoes simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove smaller potatoes first, large potatoes last. Drain.
2. Remove the skins of the potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Cover with cold water, rinse and drain. The potatoes are now ready to be cut into one-inch cubes.
3. After the potatoes are cut, add chopped hard boiled eggs, onion, and celery.
4. In a small separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix all of this in with the potatoes, eggs, celery, and onion.
5. Put the potato salad into a large covered bowl and then keep it in the refrigerator until it's cold.
It's okay to eat warm potato salad, but most people like this type of potato salad when it's cold!
Here's a pdf for this recipe.